Tuesday 1 September 2015

Mirella Bandini - enjoyed the adventure, rebellion, act of love ...


Mirella Bandini at the Laird's Arms in Matjiesfontein
Mirella Bandini studied Landscape Architecture at the University of Pretoria and graduated with a Masters degree in 2008.  It was this background and way of thinking that encouraged her to begin dabbling in sculpture. She works predominantly in ceramics, and feels that landscape architecture and the three dimensional malleability of clay complement one another well.  She is also fascinated by public art and the catalytic opportunity it provides to encourage dialogue, create memories, and enhance the magic of everyday life. Mirella is very much an intuitive maker of things and so enjoys the creation of land art out in the natural environment.  Mirella tells us about her experience of the Snake Eagle Thinking Path.
"I assisted in making the white dots and relocating vegetation in preparation for the new dots. I also spent some wonderful hours exploring the Karoo veld and creating small pieces of land art. It was a very meditative, reflective, freeing experience. It was all about my conversation with the land; with my own mind - it was wonderful!
"I also found it an amazing opportunity for me to grow as an artist, to learn new things, meet wonderful new people and to learn a bit about myself in the process.  I was also very privileged and pleased to be able to contribute in some small way to the anti-fracking movement.  The Snake Eagle Thinking Path, for me, conjures up amazing memories… I am very proud to be able to say that I was a part of this adventure / community / artwork / rebellion / act of love… "


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.